Best apps you’ve never heard of: Entertainment and social media
Entertainment and Social Media
Twitter by Twitter, Inc. (FREE)
recommended by Marissa King, Buhle Ncube, and Austin Mitchell
“I follow tons of researchers and media organizations which allows me to see what people I respect are saying about current issues.” – Marissa King
“I use it while I’m relaxing and to post what is on my mind.” – Austin Mitchell
Not exactly an app you’ve never heard of, but have you heard of using it for your own scholarship? “Twitter is an app that lets you connect with people, express yourself, and discover more about all the things you love.” Available on App Store and Play Store.
- See what your favorite celebs and athletes are chatting about
- Tweet your own text, photos, and video to your followers
- Catch a glimpse behind the scenes at concerts, sporting events, and more
Elevate — Brain Training by Elevate, Inc. (FREE)
recommended by Caleb Schrock-Hurst
“Elevate is Apple’s 2014 App of the Year! Elevate is a brain training program designed to improve focus, speaking abilities, processing speed, memory, math skills, and more.” Available on App Store and Play Store.
- 25+ games for critical cognitive skills
- Personalized daily workouts that include the skills you need most
- Adaptive difficulty progression to ensure your experience is challenging
Timehop by Timehop (FREE)
recommended by Meredith Spicher
“Timehop helps you celebrate the best moments of the past with your friends. It’s like #tbt every day!” Available on App Store and Play Store.
- Brings together old photos and posts from your iPhone, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Foursquare
- Replays your past one day at a time
LINE by LINE Corporation (FREE)
recommended by Clayton Bartholomew
“LINE reshapes communication around the globe, bringing you closer to your family, friends, and loved ones – for free. You’ll be able to express yourself in ways that you’ve never thought possible.” Available on App Store and Play Store.
- Free voice and video calls: use your PC or smartphone to keep in touch with friends and family both at home and abroad, or hold a business meeting on the go!
- Instant messaging anywhere: conversation is just a tap away. Spice it up with LINE’s exciting collection of stickers or send pictures, videos, and even GPS coordinates to let your friends know what you’re up to
- Group chats: share important information with your co-workers or talk about mutual interest with your closest friends