Fall fun: Your guide to embracing the new season
October 11, 2016 | Features, Home Feature | No Comments|
By Alicen Meysing – News Editor
It’s that time of year again. The flip flops are back in the closet, the temperature’s dropping, and the last signs of summer are slowly fading away. Luckily, as the autumn season approaches it brings with it many enjoyable traditions, activities, and experiences.
Enjoy road trips? Try these fall activities for a chance to explore new places and get out of the house.
- Pumpkin Patch: What better way to reign in the new season than by getting out and going to a pumpkin patch! There are plenty of different pumpkin patches around Kansas, but if you’re looking for a close, convenient location then Papa’s Pumpkin Patch, located north of Newton, is just right for you.
- Apple Picking: If you’re committed to taking a drive, Cider Hill Family Orchard in Kansas City is well known throughout the state as the prime place to go apple picking.
- Corn Maze: If you didn’t make it out to CAB Corn Maze night, travel to Gaeddert Farms in Buhler, Ks and spend your night trying to make your way through their famous corn maze.
- Haunted House: For those who are feeling daring, consider heading to a local haunted house. You can take advantage of the Halloween season by getting a good scare. A popular destination to get your thrill is Field of Screams, a haunted corn maze, located just outside of Wichita.
- Local Festivities: Delicious food, arts and crafts, and good music. These can be found at a range of yearly fall festivals that take place throughout Kansas. Check your local listings to see what can be found near you.
- Take a Drive or Walk: Get out and enjoy the fall scenery and weather by going for a walk or drive. The Bethel Trails in Newton, Ks are a great place to explore if you want a convenient location with plenty of space to roam around.
- Bonfire: Nothing feels better than taking in the scent of crisp fall air while sitting around a warm fire. Plan a bonfire with friends for the perfect way to make memories and enjoy the season.
For those who prefer to stay closer to home, there are plenty of opportunities to have an autumn themed night while staying in.
- Scary Movie Marathon: If you’re looking for a thrill a little more close to home, try renting your favorite scary movies and hosting a “fright night” with friends.
- Carve a Pumpkin: Express your creativity while partaking in a traditional fall activity by buying and carving a unique design into a pumpkin.
- Bake: Warm yourself up from the chilly weather outside by experimenting in the kitchen. Make use of popular fall food staples such as pumpkins and apples.
- Play with Leaves: Don’t let raking be a chore, take advantage of the fallen foliage by jumping through piles of leaves.
- Have a Picnic: Before the weather gets too cold enjoy the beauty of autumn by having a picnic outside.